Demand Action on Gun Safety.
Thoughts and prayers are important, but they won’t stop the next school shooting. We need your help to stand up to the gun lobby, and we need leaders with the courage to take action. Our children deserve better.
Your voice matters. Here’s three things you can do right now to help:
- Contact your elected leaders. Scroll down to find template emails and call scripts you can use to contact your elected officials and tell them their constituents DEMAND action on gun safety.
- Commit to #VoteCourage. If Congress won’t take action to address our nation’s gun violence crisis, it’s time for a new Congress. Take our pledge to help elect candidates who will stand up to the gun lobby and fight to save lives. Scroll down for sample social media content you can share with your family and friends to encourage them to sign our #VoteCourage pledge, too.
- Sign up to #MarchforOurLives. On March 24, students and their families will take to the streets in Washington D.C. and in communities across the nation to demand that leaders take action to save lives from gun violence. Learn more and sign up to march.
- Policy solutions. Here are nine policy recommendations to address gun violence in communities across the United States, including shootings at schools.
- A Message from Gabby Giffords: Read a statement from Gabby Giffords reacting to the horrific mass shooting at the high school in Florida.
- Facts about gun violence. Learn more about America’s gun violence epidemic.
Contact Your Elected Leaders
You can reach your members of Congress by calling the U.S. Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121, which will connect you directly with your senators’ or representative’s office; or dial the member’s office directly at numbers found here for the Senate and here for the House.
SCRIPT – Call Your Elected Leaders
Hi, my name is ______ and I’m a constituent of [Elected Leader’s Name] calling from [Your City/Town]. I’m calling about the Congress’s response to the horrific gun violence gripping our nation. In the wake of so many mass shootings and everyday gun violence, Congress has done nothing to make our communities safer. Enough is enough. We need [Elected Leader’s name] to find the courage to stand up to the gun lobby and do something — anything — to make our communities safer from gun violence. What is [Elected Leader’s name] plan to address the gun violence epidemic?
TEMPLATE – Write Your Elected Leaders
Dear [Elected Leader’s Name],
I’m emailing today as a constituent horrified by Congress’s inaction in the wake of the gun violence crisis gripping our nation. Approximately 115,000 Americans are shot every year, and almost 34,000 of them lose their lives. This is unacceptable. I’m very concerned that Congress has not brought up a single bill to address this uniquely American problem.
Please stand up for the safety of our community and act now to make our communities safer. Lives depend on it.
Organize Others to #Vote Courage
Click to Tweet: Thoughts and prayers are not enough. I’m making a commitment to #VoteCourage in November and support candidates who will stand up to the gun lobby. #GunReformNow
Click to Tweet: Parents shouldn’t have to worry whether or not their kids will come home from school. It’s time to elect leaders who will take action to make our schools safer. Take the pledge with @GiffordsCourage. #VoteCourage #GunReformNow