New Jersey prohibits the possession of “destructive devices” which include any center-fire rifle that is capable of firing a .50 BMG cartridge.1 A .50 BMG cartridge” means a cartridge that is designed and intended to be fired from a center-fire rifle and that meets all of the following criteria:
- It has an overall length of 5.54 inches from the base to the tip of the bullet;
- The bullet diameter for the cartridge is from .510 inches to and including .511 inch;
- The case base diameter for the cartridge is from .800 inches to and including .804 inch; and
- The cartridge case length is 3.91 inches.2
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Contact
- N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-3(a).
- N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-1(c)(5), (ee).