Allison Anderman—Dec 04, 2020
taking the fight to the courts
That’s why we’re taking on the gun lobby in courts across the nation, pushing back against meritless lawsuits aimed at undermining gun safety and protecting citizens and local officials with the courage to stand up for a safer America. We’re also chipping away at the unprecedented immunity afforded to the gun industry, making the case that the gun lobby’s special relationship with Congress shouldn’t translate to special treatment under the law.
Our legal arguments are winning in courts across the country. We’re determined to keep this momentum going, fighting back against the gun lobby’s reckless campaigns to strike down the laws that keep our families and communities safe.
GUN SAFETY LAWS SAVE LIVES AND ARE CONSTITUTIONAL—AND COURTS AGREE
Oct 22, 2020
Sep 19, 2020
Standing Up for Communities
From state trial courts all the way to the US Supreme Court, we have taken a leading role in defending lifesaving gun laws, bringing our decades of expertise to bear and countering extremist interpretations of the Second Amendment.
Our experts are working with pro bono firms and leading scholars to make clear once and for all that strong gun laws are unquestionably constitutional. We will bring the gun lobby’s harmful and profit-motivated practices to light by holding them accountable before the law, and we will defend the leaders who have shown courage by passing stronger gun laws against entrenched opposition. The stakes are too high to let the gun lobby bully or buy their way out of taking responsibility for their role in the gun violence crisis.
- Exposing illegal gun lobby campaigning by filing a lawsuit against the Federal Election Commission.
- Leading the effort to crack down on the illegal sale of ghost guns and disable websites that promote these unlawful sales.
- Partnering with over a dozen state Attorneys General offices on gun policy litigation and enforcement efforts and the defense of critical gun safety laws.
- Filing over 125 amicus briefs in courts across the country to make sure judges account for the needs of public safety and the right of all Americans to be free from gun violence.
- Fighting against extreme interpretations of the Constitution that protect gun lobby profits and would improperly shield the industry from regulation.
- Protecting the rights of gun violence survivors and their ability to sue irresponsible gun manufacturers.
- Advocating for student safety by opposing dangerous policies that put guns in schools and supporting sensible minimum age restrictions for gun purchases.
- Representing communities defending local gun safety laws against preemption challenges, including the cities of Boulder, Colorado, and Morgan Hill, California.
- Demanding transparency from government agencies whose policies are influenced by gun industry lobbying.
- Educating the public on judicial nominees and the role of the courts in protecting gun safety laws that respect the Constitution.
CASE BY CASE
Time and again, courts across the nation have affirmed that gun safety laws are constitutional.
Aug 17, 2020
Giffords Law Center and our pro bono partners frequently draft and submit amicus—or “friend of the court” briefs—in cases challenging lifesaving gun laws.
Courts play a critical role in interpreting the Second Amendment, and have helped form a consensus that gun safety laws are consistent with the Constitution.
A joint effort by our country’s premier gun violence prevention organizations, the Firearms Accountability Counsel Taskforce works with the nation’s preeminent law firms to challenge the gun lobby in court and protect Americans’ most fundamental freedom—the right to live.Learn More
RESIST THE GUN LOBBY
Need a hand fighting the gun lobby in court? Whether it’s empowering survivors to fight back against harmful laws or helping government officials defend lifesaving gun policies, the Giffords litigation team is here to help.CONTACT US