New Jersey has taken decisive action to protect its residents, setting an example for other states by enacting some of the country’s strongest gun laws.
New Jersey was the first state to comprehensively regulate untraceable and undetectable firearms, or “ghost guns”, and is a leader on many other gun safety policies. In 2019, New Jersey had the third-lowest gun death rate in the country and the nation’s lowest crime gun export rate. To further strengthen New Jersey’s gun laws, legislators could increase funding to proven community violence intervention programs and require firearms to be stored safely when not in use.
What New Jersey Does Well
- Universal background checks
- Gun owner licensing
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Domestic violence gun laws
- Assault weapon restrictions
- Large capacity magazine ban
- Strong concealed carry law
- Certain open carry regulations
- Child access prevention laws
- Community violence intervention funding
- Ghost gun ban
What New Jersey Is Missing
- Microstamping requirements
- Handgun design safety standards
- Safe storage laws
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.