Alabama has some of the weakest gun laws in the country and the fifth-highest gun death rate. Lawmakers must stop disregarding the safety of their constituents and take action.
The state lacks many basic gun safety laws and has not enacted meaningful gun safety legislation recently. Instead, in recent years, the state has made it easier for people to carry hidden, loaded guns in public and more difficult for local governments to enact gun violence prevention policies suited to their communities. In 2019 Alabama had the eighth highest crime gun export rate in the country.
What Alabama Does Well
- Handgun dealer licensing
- Mental health record reporting
What Alabama Is Missing
- Universal background checks
- Gun owner licensing
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Most domestic violence gun laws
- Assault weapon restrictions
- Large capacity magazine ban
- Waiting periods
- Strong concealed carry laws
- Open carry regulations
- Child access prevention laws
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.