Colorado lawmakers have enacted a number of strong gun safety laws, despite facing reactionary recall petitions, and should keep up the fight to save lives.
In recent years, Colorado has passed important legislation to strengthen its gun safety laws. an extreme risk protection order law, facilitating the temporary removal of firearms from at-risk individuals. In 2019, Colorado had the 18th-highest gun death rate among the states, and exported crime guns at a lower rate than the national average. To save lives, lawmakers in Colorado could pass laws requiring waiting periods for all firearm sales, raise the minimum age to purchase a gun to 21, and invest in lifesaving community violence intervention programs.
What Colorado Does Well
- Universal background checks
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Certain domestic violence gun laws
- Large capacity magazine ban
- Child access prevention law
- State database background checks
- Extended background check period
- Disarming procedures
- Lost & stolen firearm reporting
- Significant local regulation
- Community Violence Intervention Funding
What Colorado is Missing
- Gun owner licensing
- Assault weapon restrictions
- Waiting periods
- Strong concealed carry law
- Open carry regulations
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.