Hawaii has taken courageous steps to protect its residents, enacting some of the strongest gun laws in the country and setting an example for other states.
Among other lifesaving laws, the state requires gun purchasers to obtain a license and complete a firearm safety course. In 2019, Hawaii had the fourth-lowest gun death rate in the country and exported crime guns at the second-lowest rate. To further strengthen its gun laws, Hawaii could direct funding to evidence-based, community-driven violence intervention strategies in underserved communities.
What Hawaii Does Well
- Universal background checks
- Gun owner licensing
- Firearm Registration
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Domestic violence gun laws
- Certain assault weapon restrictions
- Partial large capacity magazine ban
- Waiting periods
- Strong concealed carry law
- Certain open carry regulations
- Child access prevention laws
- Minimum age laws
- Lost & stolen firearm reporting
What Hawaii Is Missing
- Bulk firearm purchase restrictions
- Ammunition sale regulations
- Safe storage laws
- Microstamping requirements
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.