Massachusetts has some of the strongest gun laws in the country and leads the nation in investing in community violence intervention strategies.
In 2020, Massachusetts had the second-lowest gun death rate in the country and exported crime guns at the fourth-lowest rate. To further strengthen its gun laws, Massachusetts legislators could strengthen their relinquishment laws and regulate undetectable and untraceable firearms (often referred to as ghost guns).
What Massachusetts Does Well
- Gun owner licensing
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Domestic violence gun laws
- Assault weapon restrictions
- Large capacity magazine ban
- Strong concealed carry law
- Certain open carry regulations
- Safe storage laws
- Community violence intervention funding
What Massachusetts Is Missing
- Microstamping requirements
- Bulk firearm purchase restrictions
- Waiting period
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.