Washington DC has enacted some of the strongest gun violence prevention legislation in the nation.
Washington DC requires all guns to be registered and has high standards for the types of guns that can be owned or possessed. Because of this, firearms purchased in DC are rarely used in crimes. In 2017, DC imported crime guns at more than 44 times the rate at which it exported crime guns–nearly every gun recovered at a crime scene in DC was originally purchased in another state.
What Washington DC Does Well
- Universal background checks
- Gun owner licensing
- Handgun dealer licensing
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Most domestic violence gun laws
- Assault weapon restrictions
- Large capacity magazine ban
- Waiting Periods
- Child access prevention laws
- Open Carry Regulations
- Strong concealed carry law
What Washington DC Is Missing
- Mental health record reporting
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.