California has the strongest gun laws in the United States and has been a trailblazer for gun safety for the past 30 years.
The state was one of the first in the nation to enact an extreme risk protection order law (known as a gun violence restraining order in California). The state also has the most robust system in the country for removing firearms from people who become prohibited from having them. California has the seventh-lowest gun death rate in the country and the fifth-lowest crime gun export rate. To further strengthen its gun laws, California can increase funding to community violence prevention programs and address the ways some residents manage to skirt existing gun regulations.
What California Does Well
- Universal background checks
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Domestic violence gun laws
- Assault weapon and magazine restrictions
- Waiting periods
- Strong concealed carry law
- Minimum age laws
- Open carry regulations
- Safe storage laws
- Community violence intervention funding
- Lost & stolen firearm reporting
- Ghost gun ban
- Gun dealer regulation
- Local authority to regulate firearms
- State firearm sale records retention
- Gun violence research funding
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.