Nebraska has enacted modest gun safety measures, but can do much more to protect its communities from entirely preventable gun deaths.
While Nebraska requires everyone who purchases a handgun to undergo a background check, individuals purchasing long guns from unlicensed sellers are not subject to this requirement. In 2021, Nebraska had the 10th lowest gun death rate among the states. Nebraska had the 13th lowest rate of crime gun exports among the states in 2021.
What Nebraska Does Well
- Partial gun owner licensing
- Domestic violence gun laws
- Community violence intervention funding
- State database background checks for handguns
What Nebraska Is Missing
- Universal background checks for long guns
- Concealed carry permits
- Extreme risk protection orders
- Assault weapon restrictions
- Large capacity magazine ban
- Strong concealed carry law
- Open carry regulations
- Child access prevention laws
- Lost & stolen firearm reporting
GUN LAW SCORECARD
The data is clear: states with stronger gun laws have less gun violence. See how your state compares in our annual ranking.Read More
SUPPORT GUN SAFETY
We’re in this together. To build a safer America—one where children and parents in every neighborhood can learn, play, work, and worship without fear of gun violence—we need you standing beside us in this fight.