Maryland prohibits the knowing transportation of a handgun, whether openly or concealed, on or about the person or in a vehicle traveling on a state highway, waterway, airway, or road or parking lot generally used by the public.1 Exceptions to these provisions include transporting a handgun to or from:
- A place of purchase or repair;
- A residence and business; or
- An organized military activity, formal or informal target practice, sport shooting event, or hunting.2
Maryland prohibits the possession of a loaded handgun or shotgun, or a rifle containing any ammunition in the magazine or chamber, in or on an automobile or other vehicle.5
Maryland also prohibits any person from boarding, attempting to board, or being aboard a commercial aircraft with a firearm, whether openly carried or concealed.6
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at email@example.com.Contact
- Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-203(a)(1).
- Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-203(b)(3), (4).
- Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-203(b)(3).
- Md. Code Ann., Crim. Law § 4-203(b)(2).
- Md. Code Ann., Nat. Res. § 10-410(c)(1).
- Md. Code Ann., Transp. § 5-1008.