A person who is otherwise authorized under the law to carry or transport a firearm shall not do so while in a vehicle in New Jersey, unless the firearm is unloaded and contained in a closed and securely fastened case, gunbox, or locked unloaded in the trunk of the vehicle.1
A holder of a valid and lawfully issued permit to carry a handgun shall not leave a handgun outside of their immediate possession or control within a parked vehicle, unless the handgun is unloaded and contained in a closed and securely fastened case, or gunbox, and is not visible from outside of the vehicle, or is locked unloaded in the trunk or storage area of the vehicle.2
In the sensitive areas enumerated in N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:58-4.6(a) where firearm carry is prohibited, people with concealed carry permits are allowed to:
- Transport a concealed handgun or ammunition within a vehicle into or out of the parking area, if the handgun is unloaded and contained in a closed and securely fastened case, gunbox, or locked unloaded in the trunk or storage area of the vehicle;
- Store a handgun or ammunition within a locked lock box and out of plain view within the vehicle in the parking area;
- Transport a concealed handgun in the immediate area surrounding their vehicle within a prohibited parking lot area only for the limited purpose of storing or retrieving the handgun within a locked lock box in the vehicle’s trunk or other place inside the vehicle that is out of plain view; and
- Transport a concealed handgun between a vehicle parked within a prohibited parking lot area and a place other than a prohibited place enumerated in subsection a. of this section, provided that the person immediately leaves the parking lot area and does not enter into or on the grounds of the prohibited place with the handgun.3
The state also prohibits any person from possessing in a motor vehicle any shotgun or rifle loaded with ammunition or missiles of any kind for the purpose of hunting or attempting to hunt any bird or animal.4
New Jersey provides that all firearms being transported between a place of purchase or repair or a dwelling or place of business,5 by members of rifle or pistol clubs under certain circumstances,6 or to or from: 1) hunting and fishing activities pursuant to a valid hunting license; 2) target shooting on a range; or 3) any exhibition or display of firearms,7 shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.8
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at email@example.com.Contact
- N.J. Stat. Ann. §§ 2C:58-4.6(b); 23:4-24.1a..
- N.J. Stat. § 2C:58-4.6(c).
- N.J. Stat. Ann. § 23:4-24.1.
- N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-6e.
- N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-6f(1).
- N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-6f(3).
- N.J. Stat. Ann. § 2C:39-6g.