Giffords Endorses Slate of Gun Safety Champions in Virginia
Washington, DC — Giffords, the gun safety organization founded by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, announced its endorsement of eight strong gun safety champions in Virginia.
Statement from former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords:
“Like every state in the country, Virginia continues to suffer from the gun violence epidemic. Despite this devastating reality, the gun lobby continues to use its cash and influence to try and stop the state legislature from passing laws to make our schools, streets, and communities safer.
“The candidates we are endorsing today acknowledge the toll of gun violence in the Commonwealth and they have been working tirelessly to stop it. Their leadership will be critical to taking steps to prevent future tragedies. Giffords is proud to endorse these leaders, who have the courage to stand up to the corporate gun lobby and who will never stop working to save lives.”
The slate of endorsed candidates include:
- Eileen Filler-Corn (HD-41): Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn has represented Northern Virginia for over a decade. As a delegate, Eileen has fought to improve the quality of life for her constituents via access to transportation, economic opportunities, and safer communities. The first female speaker in Virginia legislative history, Speaker Filler-Corn has led the fight against the gun violence epidemic. She serves as co-chair for the Safe Virginia Initiative Task Force and oversaw seven of the last eight gun violence prevention bills to be passed in the state. After years of work to improve her communities, Speaker Filler-Corn will continue to fight for a safer Virginia. Giffords is proud to endorse Speaker Eileen Filler-Corn for re-election in Virginia HD-41.
- Charniele Herring (HD-46): Delegate Charniele Herring has been a resident of Northern Virginia for over 30 years and has served as her community’s representative in the Virginia House of Delegates 46th District since 2009. Serving as the House Majority Leader, Delegate Herring has played a crucial role in passing gun safety bills through the chamber. She is the first African American woman from Northern Virginia to be elected in the Virginia legislature’s 400-year history and has been a leader for progress since her first day in office. Giffords is proud to endorse Delegate Charniele Herring for re-election in Virginia HD-46.
- Alfonso Lopez (HD-49): Delegate Alfonso Lopez has served as representative of Virginia’s 49th district for nearly a decade. In the statehouse, Delegate Alfonso founded the Virginia Latino Caucus and serves on Democrat on the House Militia, Police, and Public Safety Committee. Delegate Lopez has been a leader to pass commonsense gun laws, sponsoring several critical pieces of gun safety legislation. For Delegate Lopez, the issue of gun violence became deeply personal after the Virginia Tech shooting, which he later said changed him from “a supporter of sensible gun violence prevention measures into a fierce champion for them.” Currently serving as the Majority Whip, Delegate Alfonso works closely with the Speaker to prioritize a legislative agenda focused around safety and community. Giffords is proud to endorse Delegate Alfonso Lopez for re-election in Virginia HD-49.
- Jeff Bourne (HD-71): Delegate Jeff Bourne has been serving Virginia for over a decade. Prior to his election as House Delegate, Bourne served as Deputy Attorney General for transportation, real estate and construction litigation for the Commonwealth of Virginia, as well as the head of Government Relations at the Richmond Redevelopment and Housing Authority. Delegate Bourne has spent his years in the statehouse fighting to ensure safer schools in communities across Virginia, passing commonsense gun laws, and disrupting the school-to-prison pipeline. Through the prioritization of criminal justice reform, Delegate Bourne has fought for a more equitable Virginia. Giffords is proud to endorse Delegate Jeff Bourne for re-election in Virginia HD-71.
- Dan Helmer (HD- 40): Delegate Dan Helmer is running for his second term representing Virginia’s 40th district. As a veteran, Delegate Helmer has seen the damage firearms can do in the wrong hands. As a gun owner himself, Delegate Helmer knows what responsible gun ownership looks like, and has worked tirelessly to end gun violence in Virginian communities by co-patroning the universal background checks bill, extreme risk protective orders bill, and Virginia’s assault weapons ban that sought to get weapons of war off Virginia streets. Giffords is proud to endorse Delegate Helmer.
- Patrick Hope (HD-47): Delegate Patrick Hope has been a resident of Arlington for over two decades, living in the community of Buckingham with his wife Kristen and three daughters. Currently running for his seventh term in the Virginia House, Delegate Hope has spent 10+ years fighting for a safer and more prosperous Virginia. As chair of the House Public and Safety Committee, Hope has helped pass laws curtailing access to firearms and ensuring lost and stolen guns are reported to Virginia authorities. Through his time on the Joint Subcommittee to Study Mental Health Services, Delegate Hope has been able to prioritize not only the physical and economic health of all Virginians, but their mental health as well. Giffords is proud to endorse Delegate Patrick Hope for re-election in Virginia HD-47.
- Mike Mullin (HD-93): As delegate for the 93rd House District, Mike Mullin represents residents of the City of Newport News, the City of Williamsburg, James City County, and York County. Delegate Mullin excels at turning his experiences and understanding of the communities of the Peninsula into real results for his constituents, passing 31 bills since taking office in 2016. Some of those bills include legislation to help end the school-to-prison pipeline and to keep guns out of the hands of individuals who have protective orders filed against them. Giffords is proud to endorse Delegate Mike Mullin for re-election in Virginia HD-93.
- Marcia Price (HD-95): Delegate Marcia Price is in her third term serving in the Virginia House of Delegates, representing the 95th District since 2016. She currently serves as the Vice-Chair of the Privileges and Elections Committee and Chair of the Voting Rights Subcommittee, and sits on the Public Safety Committee, all of which moved critical gun safety legislation to protect Virginians last legislative session. Additionally, Delegate Price was the chief sponsor of the legislation that allowed localities to make their own gun violence prevention measures. As a tenth-generation resident of her district, Delegate Price embraces her family’s legacy of service and strives to make a positive impact within the amazing community that raised her. Giffords is proud to endorse Delegate Marcia Price for re-election in Virginia (HD-95).
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at email@example.com.Contact