A parent must prevent illegal firearm possession or report the possession to an appropriate authority if he or she knows that his or her minor child is in illegal possession of a firearm in or upon:
- The premises of a public or private school;
- A public or private school’s athletic stadium or other facility or building in which school-sponsored events are conducted; or
- A public park, playground, or civic center.1
For purposes of this provision, “parent” is defined as a parent, stepparent, legal guardian, or person in loco parentis or who has legal custody of a student pursuant to a court order and with whom the student resides.2
See our Child Access Prevention policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.
- Ark. Code Ann. § 5-27-210(b). Minor is defined as a person under 18 years of age. Ark. Code Ann. § 5-25-101(4).
- Ark. Code Ann. § 5-27-210(a)(2).