A state administrative regulation requires firearms at a foster home to be stored:
- Unloaded and equipped with a trigger lock;
- Unassembled and inoperable;
- Locked in a cabinet or storage container inaccessible to children; or
- Locked in a gun safe inaccessible to children.1
Parents at a children’s residential care facility must keep their firearms unloaded and equipped with trigger locks and stored under lock and key and inaccessible to children.2 Ammunition must be stored under lock and key separate from firearms and inaccessible to children.3
For age requirements for the purchase or possession of firearms in Idaho, see the Idaho Minimum Age to Purchase / Possess section.
See our Child Access Prevention policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.
- Idaho Admin. Code r. 16.06.02.435.
- Idaho Admin. Code r. 16.06.02.734.