Restricting Locations Where Ammunition May be Possessed
New Mexico prohibits any person from bringing ammunition onto the grounds of the penitentiary of New Mexico or any other designated correctional institution,1 or any county or municipal jail.2 The state also prohibits any person from bringing ammunition into any juvenile detention or correctional facility.3
New Mexico does not:
- Require a license for the sale of ammunition;
- Ensure that sellers of ammunition maintain records of the purchasers;
- Require a license to purchase or possess ammunition;
- Prohibit persons who are ineligible to possess firearms under state law from possessing ammunition, although the federal ammunition purchaser prohibitions apply; or
- Restrict armor-piercing ammunition, although the federal prohibition on certain kinds of armor-piercing ammunition applies.
See our Ammunition Regulation policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.
- N.M. Stat. Ann. § 30-22-14(A), (C)(1).
- N.M. Stat. Ann. § 30-22-14(B), (C)(1).
- N.M. Stat. Ann. § 30-22-14.1(A), (B)(1).