Vermont law prohibits any person, firm or corporation, other than a parent or guardian, from selling or furnishing any ammunition to a minor under age 16.1Federal law, however, imposes stricter age requirements on the sale of ammunition.
Vermont does not:
- Require a license for the sale of ammunition;
- Require sellers of ammunition to maintain a record of the purchasers;
- Prohibit persons who are ineligible to possess firearms under state law from possessing ammunition, although the federal ammunition purchaser prohibitions apply; or
- Prohibit armor-piercing ammunition, although the federal prohibition on certain kinds of armor-piercing ammunition applies.
See our Ammunition Regulation policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.
- Vt. Stat. Ann. tit. 13, § 4007.