Skip to Main Content
Last updated .

Licensing of Ammunition Sellers

No firearms dealer may sell or otherwise transfer, or expose for sale or transfer, or have in his or her possession with intent to sell or otherwise transfer, any ammunition without being licensed by the State of Washington.1 See the Washington Dealer Regulations section for further information.

Safe Storage of Ammunition

Small arms ammunition must be stored separated from flammable liquids, flammable solids and oxidizing materials by a fire-resistant wall “of one-hour rating” or by a distance of 25 feet.2

State administrative regulations govern the storage of ammunition in family home child care facilities.3 State administrative regulations may regulate other aspects of ammunition.

Washington does not:

  • Prohibit individuals ineligible to possess firearms under state law from possessing ammunition;
  • Require a license for the possession of ammunition; or
  • Require a license to sell ammunition, unless the seller is operating as a dealer.


Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at

  1. Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 9.41.110(3).[]
  2. Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 70.74.330; Wash. Admin. Code 296-52-71025. “Small arms ammunition” is defined to include any shotgun, rifle, pistol or revolver cartridge, and cartridges for propellant-actuated power devices and industrial guns. Military-type ammunition containing explosive bursting charges, incendiary, tracer, spotting, or pyrotechnic projectiles is excluded from this definition. Wash. Rev. Code Ann. § 70.74.010(28).[]
  3. Wash. Admin. Code 170-296-0800.[]