Compliance with the background check provisions of Delaware Code Annotated Title 11, § 1448A is a complete defense to any claim or cause of action under Delaware law for liability for damages arising from the importation or manufacture, or subsequent sale or transfer of a firearm shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce to a person convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year.1
Delaware law also provides that:
This section does not apply, however, when:
- A nuisance results from the negligent or improper operation of the shooting range or hunting operation;
- There has been a significant and fundamental change in the hunting operation or operation of the shooting range;
- The shooting range or hunting operations do not conform to federal, state or local health or zoning requirements; or
- The shooting range or hunting operations are conducted in a negligent or unlawful manner.3
See our Gun Industry Immunity policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.
- Del. Code Ann. tit. 11, § 1448A(c).
- Del. Code Ann. tit. 10, § 8142(c).
- Del. Code Ann. tit. 10, § 8142(b), (d).