Oregon prohibits any person from intentionally possessing a loaded or unloaded firearm while in or on a public building.1 “Public building” includes a public or private school, and the grounds adjacent to each such building.2
Oregon’s prohibition on the intentional possession of a loaded or unloaded firearm in or on a public building includes colleges and universities, and the grounds adjacent to each such building.3
Exceptions to the prohibitions include concealed handgun licensees and persons possessing handguns on school property if possessed by a person who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing the firearm and the handgun is unloaded and locked in a motor vehicle.4 However, in 2021, Oregon enacted a law allowing a school district and institution of higher education to prohibit firearms carried by people with permits on its property. Specific signage and notice is required.5
The policy shall allow a superintendent to modify the expulsion requirement for a student on a case-by-case basis.6 A school district board may consider and propose to a student who is under expulsion or to a student prior to expulsion alternative programs of instruction or instruction combined with counseling for the student that are appropriate and accessible to the student.7
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Contact
- Or. Rev. Stat. § 166.370(1).
- Or. Rev. Stat. § 166.360(4).
- Or. Rev. Stat. §§ 166.370(1), 166.360(4).
- Or. Rev. Stat. § 166.370(3)(d), (g).
- 2021 SB 554.)
In Oregon, a school district shall require expulsion from school for a period of not less than one year of any student who is determined to have:
- Brought a firearm to school, onto school property under the jurisdiction of the school district, or to an activity under the jurisdiction of the school district;
- Possessed, concealed or used a firearm in a school or on school property or at an activity under the jurisdiction of the school district; or
- Brought to or possessed, concealed or used a firearm at an interscholastic activity administered by a voluntary organization approved by the State Board of Education.((Or. Rev. Stat. § 339.250(6)(a).
- Or. Rev. Stat. § 339.250(6)(c).
- Or. Rev. Stat. § 339.250(10).