A New York license to carry a handgun is generally not valid in New York City without an additional permit issued by local law enforcement.1
Firearm possession is generally prohibited:
• In state parks, except for hunting purposes where permitted;2
• On the grounds of a residential child care facility;3
• At any facility of the New York Department of Mental Hygiene, or any residential facility that has an operating certificate issued by the Department;4 or
• At any facility operated or licensed by the Office of Mental Health of the Department of Mental Hygiene.5
New York has no laws prohibiting firearms in the following places, although administrative regulations may apply:
• Bars and other places where alcoholic beverages are sold or served; • Places of worship; • Sports arenas; • Gambling facilities; or • Polling places.
- N.Y. Penal Law § 400.00(7).
- N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit..9, § 375.1(p).
- N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 18, § 441.19(f).
- N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 14, § 45.1.
- N.Y. Comp. Codes R. & Regs. tit. 14, § 542.5(a).