To possess and use any firearms and ammunition, Rhode Island citizens must be at least 18 years of age, unless:
- The minor holds a permit to be engaged in training at a camp or rifle range under the written consent of a parent or guardian and in the presence of a parent, guardian or other supervising adult;1
- The minor is engaged in hunting under the supervision of a parent, guardian or qualified adult; or
- The minor is in reserve officer training, target shooting or parade activities.2
Rhode Island also generally prohibits any person from selling, transferring, giving, conveying or causing to be sold, transferred, given or conveyed, any firearm or ammunition to any person under age 18, when the person knows or has reason to know that the recipient is under age 18.5
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at email@example.com.Contact
- R.I. Gen. Laws §§ 11-47-33, 11-47-34.
- R.I. Gen. Laws §§ 11-47-32, 11-47-33.
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-35(a)(1).
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-37.
- R.I. Gen. Laws §§ 11-47-30, 11-47-31.