Minnesota prohibits the carrying of a BB gun in a public place.1 Minnesota also prohibits the display, exhibition, brandishing or other use of a BB gun in a threatening manner, if while doing so, the possessor:
- Causes or attempts to cause “terror” in another person; or
- Acts in reckless disregard of the risk of causing terror in another person.2
Outside of a municipality, Minnesota prohibits furnishing an airgun to a child under age 14 without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian. The state also prohibits, outside of a municipality, any parent or guardian from permitting his or her child under age 14 to handle or use an airgun outside of the parent’s or guardian’s presence.3
Within a municipality, Minnesota prohibits any person from furnishing a minor (under age 18) with an airgun without the prior consent of the minor’s parent or guardian or the municipality’s police department.4
Minnesota also prohibits the use, brandishing, possession, storage or keeping of a BB gun while knowingly on school property.5
The aforementioned prohibitions are subject to several exceptions, including possession of BB guns by a ceremonial color guard or with the written permission of the principal or other person having general control and supervision of the school or the director of a child care center.6
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.Contact
- Minn. Stat. § 624.7181, subd. 1, subd. 2. This prohibition is subject to the following exceptions:
- The BB gun is being carried to, from, or at a place where firearms are repaired, bought, sold, traded, or displayed, or where hunting, target shooting, or other lawful activity involving firearms occurs, or at funerals, parades, or other lawful ceremonies;
- The BB gun is unloaded and in a gun case expressly made for a firearm and which fully encloses the firearm with no portion of the gun exposed;
- The person has a permit to carry a handgun;
- The BB gun is an antique firearm that is being carried as a curiosity or for its historical significance or value; or
- The BB gun is being transported unloaded and in the closed trunk of a motor vehicle.
Minn. Stat. § 624.7181, subd. 1.
- Minn. Stat. § 609.713, subd. 3(a).
- Minn. Stat. § 609.66, subd. 1(a)(6).
- Minn. Stat. § 609.66, subd. 1b.
- Minn. Stat. § 609.66, subd. 1d(b), (c).
- Minn. Stat. § 609.66, subd. 1d(f)(6), (8).