Rhode Island also prohibits:
- A firearm purchaser or other transferee from providing false information or offering false evidence of his or her identity to obtain a firearm or a license to carry.3
- Any person from selling a handgun to someone who he or she has reasonable cause to believe is providing false information of this kind.4
- Selling a firearm without conducting a background check on the purchaser.5
- Any person from changing, altering, removing, or obliterating the name of the maker, model, manufacturer’s number, or if there is no name of the maker, model, or manufacturer’s number then any other mark of identification on any firearm.6
- Any person, absent recertification paperwork, from knowingly receiving, transporting, or possessing any firearm which has had the name of the maker or manufacturer’s serial number removed, altered, or obliterated, or if there is no name of the maker, model, or manufacturer’s number than any other mark of identification on any firearm.7
See our Trafficking & Straw Purchasing policy summary for a comprehensive discussion of this issue.
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-5.1(a).
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-5.1(b).
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-23.
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-37.
- R.I. Gen. Laws §§ 11-47-35, 11-47-35.1, and 11-47-35.2.
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-24(a).
- R.I. Gen. Laws § 11-47-24(b).