At all levels, Giffords backs candidates with the courage to reject the gun lobby, who are passionate about reducing gun violence, and who commit to taking action once elected.
At Giffords, we know that part of fighting gun violence is supporting the candidates who will stand up to the gun lobby and fight for safer gun laws. Giffords campaigns in key elections to elevate the issue of gun safety and build gun violence prevention majorities from state houses all the way up to the United States Senate.
Voters everywhere can count on Giffords to vigilantly monitor the Trump Administration and Congress to hold them accountable if they choose to stand with the gun lobby – or celebrate them if they have the courage to stand for public safety.
Virginia voters deserve a governor who will fight for safer communities and block the gun lobby’s dangerous agenda. As a state senator and lieutenant governor, Ralph Northam has consistently stood up for safer gun laws and is committed to enacting life-saving legislation as governor.
We need elected leaders who are committed to combating gun violence and advancing solutions to make communities safer. Here are the candidates we believe are exceptionally suited to take on that challenge.
- Lieutenant Gov. Ralph Northam (Governor)
- Justin Fairfax (Lieutenant Governor)
- Mark Herring (Attorney General)
- Dawn Adams (House District 68)
- John Bell (House District 87)
- Karrie Delaney (House District 67)
- Kelly Fowler (House District 21)
- Jennifer Foy (House District 2)
- Elizabeth Guzman (House District 31)
- Chris Hurst (House District 12)
- Mike Mullin (House District 93)
- Kathleen Murphy (House District 34)
- David Reid (House District 32)
- Danica Roem (House District 13)
- Shelly Simonds (House District 94)
- Kathy Tran (House District 42)
- Phil Murphy (Governor)
- Marty Walsh (Mayor of Boston)
- Tim Keller (Mayor of Albuquerque)
- Kate Brown (Governor)
Building a Gun Violence Prevention Majority
Giffords is proving that candidates who campaign on a gun safety platform win.
In the 2016 elections, 73% of our endorsed candidates and ballot initiatives won, including our biggest investment—the U.S. Senate race in New Hampshire. We spent over $2 million and countless hours on then-governor Maggie Hassan’s campaign against the incumbent senator and gun lobby darling, Kelly Ayotte.
After a three-week media blitz, Maggie Hassan’s support soared while Kelly Ayotte’s popularity nose-dived. When voters were reminded of her deadly vote against stronger background checks, they abandoned her. Gun safety dominated the campaign dialogue, and as a result, Kelly Ayotte became one of only two Republican senators to lose her reelection campaign.
Giffords is showing elected officials that they can’t hide from their dangerous votes on gun safety, but we need Americans around the country to have the courage to make their voices heard and demand that their candidates be champions for safer gun laws.