We’re not just fighting for gun safety—we’re winning. Our victories lead to lifesaving action and progress.
To pass gun safety laws, we need gun safety champions in office. And over the past few years, we’ve elected more than ever before. These victories have produced tangible results.
In 2018, we won back the US House of Representatives, enabling the passage of the first major gun safety legislation in years.
Our work in the 2018 midterm elections
- Outspent the NRA—even in states like Texas—with an aggressive campaign of nearly $7 million.
- Endorsed 300+ candidates in 34 states—256 won their races.
- Ousted 40 gun lobby politicians from Congress.
- Gun safety was the #2 issue for Democratic voters.
- After registering 60,000+ young voters, youth turnout surged.
Action by the 116th Congress
- House passed H.R. 8, the Bipartisan Background Checks Act—the first major gun safety bill in over a decade.
- House passed H.R. 1112 to address the Charleston loophole.
- House and Senate agreed to $25 million for gun violence research at the CDC and NIH, the first dedicated funding in two decades.
- Legislators introduced bills to ban untraceable ghost guns.
In 2019, we flipped the Virginia General Assembly, ushering in a long awaited era of progress on guns in the NRA’s home state.
The midterm elections proved that the politics of gun safety have shifted in favor of those fighting for safety, not the gun lobby. Their triumph in 2018 fueled further success the following year in the NRA’s home state.
Our Work in the 2019 Virginia elections
- Ran a $300,000 digital ad campaign to support gun safety champions statewide.
- Endorsed 40 candidates for the Virginia House of Delegates. 60% won their races.
- Flipped the Virginia House and Senate, with gun safety leaders controlling the general assembly and the governor’s mansion.
- Gabby Giffords barnstormed the state, rallying with candidates and speaking with volunteers.
- 75% of Virginia voters ranked gun safety as their top issue.
Action by the Virginia General Assembly
- New gun safety majority announced plans to act after previous lawmakers failed following Virginia Tech, Virginia Beach, and other tragedies.
- The general assembly passed seven landmark gun safety bills and the governor signed them into law.
- New laws enacted include extreme risk protection orders, expanded background checks, disarming domestic abusers, one handgun a month, lost or stolen firearms reporting, child access prevention, and more.
- Nearly $3M to fund community violence intervention programs statewide.
In 2020, we’ll continue this string of victories by defeating Donald Trump and electing gun safety majorities to both chambers of Congress.
This new Congress will take the action so many Americans have been demanding for years—finally passing universal background checks through both the House and Senate and signing this lifesaving legislation into law nationwide.
Our elections work shows that progress is possible when we stand up for public safety and common sense. If you’re with us in this fight, join us on the road to Election Day.
JOIN THE FIGHT
Gun violence costs our nation 40,000 lives each year. We can’t sit back as politicians fail to act tragedy after tragedy. Giffords brings the fight to save lives to communities, courthouses, and ballot boxes across the country—will you stand with us?