RELEASE: Giffords Endorses Slate of Gun Safety Champions for North Carolina General Assembly
The endorsement comes as part of the Giffords #VoteCourage Campaign to elect gun reform candidates nationwide
October 11, 2018 — Giffords, the gun safety organization founded by former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and Captain Mark Kelly, announced its endorsement of 12 candidates for North Carolina General Assembly.
Governor Roy Cooper has been a gun safety champion in North Carolina, supporting proposals to establish an extreme risk protection order and require background checks on all gun sales. Unfortunately, a Republican supermajority in both chambers of the North Carolina legislature has blocked any of these measures from advancing, focusing instead on trying to pass extreme legislation backed by the gun lobby. Our endorsed leaders in North Carolina are ready to lead the fight for commonsense gun safety measures that will save lives.
Statement from former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, co-founder of Giffords:
The newly-endorsed candidates include:
- Jay Chaudhuri – Senate District 15
- Wiley Nickel – Senate District 16
- Floyd McKissick – Senate District 20
- Allison Dahle – House District 11
- Deb Butler – House District 18
- Marcia Morey – House District 30
- Ashton Clemmons – House District 57
- Cecil Brockman – House District 60
- Pricey Harrison – House District 61
- Christy Clark – House District 98
- Carla Cunningham – House District 106
- Susan Fisher – House District 114
The Giffords #VoteCourage campaign aims to elect gun safety advocates to Congress and defeat politicians who have historically worked against gun reform, or done nothing at all to prevent gun violence. The political program targets incumbents in mostly suburban districts and uses a mixture of TV and digital advertising, on-the-ground organizing, and a voter registration push to create momentum for meaningful progress on gun safety.