CalVIP Coalition statement on $107 million in new funding for community violence intervention
Despite $107M in awards, only 42 out of nearly 400 applications were funded, highlighting the need for increased investment
SACRAMENTO, Calif.— Today, the CalVIP Coalition released the following statement after California’s Board of State and Community Corrections approved $107 million in grant funding for 42 recipients. The coalition consists of community violence intervention practitioners, advocates, survivors, researchers, and partners from across California who receive the state’s flagship CalVIP grant. The grant is designed to support evidence-based community violence intervention efforts, which disrupt cycles of gun violence and increase public safety by providing lifesaving services to individuals at the highest risk.
In the wake of more than $150 million in federal funding cuts for gun violence prevention in 2025, it’s more important than ever that California’s leaders continue to step up and fill the gap, ensuring Californians’ safety. That’s why the CalVIP Coalition is calling on the Legislature and Governor Newsom to invest an additional $55M in CalVIP this budget cycle. The funding awarded Thursday will extend into 2029, supporting a diverse array of organizations in their shared mission to support public health and create safer communities that are free from gun violence. More than 390 applicants requested over $1.1 billion in funds, demonstrating dramatically increased demand for community violence intervention work in California, and the urgent need for greater support from the state. Despite this increased demand, the total amount available through CalVIP has decreased by approximately 50% from the last cohort of grantees.
“Last year, Oakland homicide rates reached their lowest levels since 1967, dropping almost 47% since 2023. These statistics equal fewer people admitted to emergency rooms with gunshot wounds, fewer families grieving the killing of a loved one, and a much needed break from cycles of violence that have plagued cities like ours. This success, echoed across the state, is possible because of CalVIP funding, and proves that community violence intervention programs are an essential public safety strategy, saving lives and saving taxpayer dollars in the process. Despite this success, the federal government abruptly cut $150 million for gun violence intervention in April 2025, and our organization had $2 million taken from us overnight. CalVIP funding is a lifeline, and at this critical time it is more important than ever that California’s leaders continue to step up and fund these vital programs, ensuring this work can continue to save lives across California.” said Dr. Joseph Griffin, Executive Director at Youth Alive, a CalVIP Coalition Spokesperson.
“In 2025, California saw historic drops in gun violence in communities across the state. These aren’t just numbers — they are lives saved. Community violence intervention groups, alongside local governments, law enforcement and other partners, are an essential part of the solution. CalVIP has been instrumental in funding the work behind these groups. As we move into 2026 and beyond, this renewed funding will be crucial in maintaining these public safety wins and California’s role as a proving ground for the power of community-based public safety,” said Mike McLively, Policy Director at GIFFORDS Center for Violence Intervention and a CalVIP Coalition spokesperson. “Yet there are still hundreds of millions of dollars in potentially lifesaving CalVIP projects that are not yet funded, and we can’t ignore that gap. As we look toward the future, we urge California’s leaders to make CalVIP a top public safety priority.”
“CalVIP funding has been instrumental in Los Angeles achieving a 27% decline in homicides, with 2025 marking the lowest homicide rate our city has seen since 1966. This progress is not accidental. After four years of sustained Community Violence Intervention (CVI) investment under the Biden administration, cities across the country are experiencing some of their safest years in decades. We must continue fighting to protect and sustain CalVIP funding to ensure public safety for all Californians. At the same time, the BSCC and policymakers must ensure these funds are directed to credible CVI organizations so that the focus on evidence-informed violence reduction remains strong and measurable. Diluting this investment risks reversing the hard-won safety gains communities across our state are now experiencing.” said Fernando Rejón, Executive Director of Urban Peace Institute.
Details about the most recent grant awardees can be found here.
MEDIA REQUESTS
Our experts can speak to the full spectrum of gun violence prevention issues. Have a question? Email us at media@giffords.org.
Contact